Car Hire In Croatia
Renting a car in Croatia is a great way to explore the country. All the major car rental companies are represented in Croatia (Avis, Hertz, Sixt, Europcar, Thrifty, Auto Europe, Alamo, Budget etc).
The car rental companies operate at the Croatian airports (Dubrovnik, Split, Zagreb, Zadar, Rijeka, Osijek, Pula) as well in the most ports along Croatian coast. But you will have more choice and get better deals if you book your
car in advance online.
If you are coming in July and August it is
recommended to book a car in advance.
Taking a rented car on a ferry
If you intend to take the car aboard a local ferry you should inform the car rental agency at the time of pick-up. There is no extra charge.
In order to rent a car in Croatia, you must be at least
18 years old (age restrictions may vary depending on car category), and
have held your licence for at least one year. Drivers under 25 should
be aware that they may incur a young driver surcharge.
- Traffic travels on the right-hand side of the road and cars entering a traffic circle have the right of way.
- School buses have the right of way when leaving a stop.
- There are many public parking lots found in major cities in Croatia, such as Dubrovnik, Split and Zagreb. There are also numerous metered parking areas located throughout the country.
- Seatbelts are always mandatory.
- Drivers must carry a valid driver´s licence, registration documents, and insurance documents at all times while driving.
- Petrol stations in Croatia are generally open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., with
some stations in major cities and on the highway open 24 hours.
Driving from Croatia to Bosnia & Herzegovina and Montenegro
If you rent a car in Croatia and intend to drive through Bosnia & Herzegovina or to Montenegro you do not need a cross-border card.
Home > Car Hire In Croatia
Dubrovnik Travel Guide